The recent announcement (and by recent I mean in the past few hours) that Facebook will be purchasing Instagram, I had to think a bit about social media and what I have used it for, how it has changed my life and what would be different if I didn’t use it so frequently.
Thanks to social media I:
- Met my husband via MySpace back in 2004.
- Won backstage VIP tickets to a Blondie concert via Twitter!
- Found someone to rent my apartment so that I could break my lease utilizing and integrating Twitter, Tumblr and Facebook.
- Raised close to $40,000 from an entirely online and social media event for a local not-for-profit organization utilizing and integrating Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, Email, Text and the Internet.
- Used Facebook, Twitter and other platforms to integrate social media into 6 live fundraisers over the past 4 years.
- Met numerous new friends via Twitter and FourSquare.
- Reconnected with former high school friends via Facebook.
- Sparked a religious debate over the separation of church and state and stopped talking to a sibling due to this debate.
- Reached over 450 new supporters for a local not-for-profit while raising $1,000 for the same organization at the same time.
- Became more competitive in the job market thanks to my understanding and background in social media.
How has social media changed your life? What things have you used it for?